Saturday, July 25, 2015

Robert Frost: Putting in the Seed



Putting in the Seed

You come to fetch me from my work tonight
When supper's on the table, and we'll see
If I can leave off burying the white 
Soft petals fallen from the apple tree
(Soft petals, yes, but not so barren quite,
Mingled with these, smooth bean and wrinkled pea;)
And go along with you ere you lose sight
Of what you came for and become like me,
Slave to a springtime passion for the earth.
How Love burns through the Putting in the Seed
On through the watching for the early birth
When, just as the soil tarnishes with the weed,
The sturdy seedling with arched body comes
Shouldering its way and and shedding the earth crumbs.

-- Robert Frost --


Why do I get the feeling that there's something going on behind the words on the page?  

2 comments:

  1. Well, "putting in the seed" and the "arched body" seem to suggest something more than a farmer's chores. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. R.T.,

    "How Love burns through the Putting in the Seed"

    This line also raised at least one of my eyebrows--doesn't seem to fit with the "white, soft petals" and the "smooth bean, and wrinkled pea."

    ReplyDelete