Wednesday, September 21, 2016

John Muir: immortality, sort of anyway

94

Bears are made of the same dust as we, and breathe the same winds and drink of the same waters.  A bear's days are warmed by the same sun, his dwellings are overdomed by the same blue sky, and his life turns and ebbs with heart-pulsings like ours, and was poured from the same First Fountain.  And whether he at last goes to our stingy heaven or no, he has terrestrial immortality.  His life not long, not short, knows no beginning, no ending.  To him life unstinted, unplanned, is above the accidents of time, and his years, markless and boundless, equal Eternity.

-- John Muir --
from John Muir: In His Own Words 


Many have said that only humans are "mortal" for we alone know we have a beginning and an end.  Others on this planet are unaware of this and, therefore, have a form of immortality.  While this idea is not unique to John Muir, I don't think I've ever heard anyone put it as clearly and concretely as this. 

6 comments:

  1. Interesting. And just how does one get inside the head of a bear? Hmmm? It all sounds like projection. As humans, we cannot help ourselves. Everything is through our prism. Even bears' knowledge is refracted through our own heads. Still, Muir makes interesting observations. Thanks for sharing it. Postscript: I remember a close encounter with a bear in Yosemite (c. 1973); the bear was hungry, I had apples, and I was stupid (i.e., I ran and the bear ate, and I never once gave much thought to what the bear was thinking about his future, but I did give some thought to my own future).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, one can choose to project or not to project. I choose to not project what's inside of me until I get some evidence to the contrary. I see beginnings and endings, and so far some humans have given me evidence that they do also. So, I figure humans do have a concept of mortality.

      At present, no other species has provided evidence. Consequently, until some evidence appears, I go along with John Muir. Feel free to disagree, as always.

      Delete
    2. Fred, I'm no expert on bears (or anything else for that matter), so I defer to Muir -- and that damned bear in Yosemite.

      Delete
  2. Scary, tim... i met one one time hiking down from mt. stewart, in wa. state... we looked at each other, he stood up, then we both ran. not toward each other... i did a bit of beginner rock climbing in yosemite once, but never saw a bear... i sometimes wonder if other animals do, indeed, have no "consciousness"; maybe theirs is just of a different order than ours; maybe bears do know the secret of life after death... watching my dog, i often think he's smarter and more aware than i am...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mudpuddle,

      I've often wondered the same thing. Do animals have a consciousness that differs from ours?

      Delete
    2. R.T.,

      I too would have deferred to that bear. I once visited Glacier National Park and camped there for a night or two. Normally I pick a camping site that is on the outskirts, away as much as possible from other campers. However, while driving through the campsite I saw numerous bear warning signs, so I found a campsite in the center, figuring many people traveled with dogs who would serve as a distant early warning. As I mentioned, I too defer to bears.

      Delete