Tuesday, December 19, 2017

The Dark Tower: a few comments

I finally got around to watching The Dark Tower.  After I watched it, I realized the film began with a very large lie: a statement to the effect that this film is based on the "Dark Tower" novels of Stephen King.

Well, let's see.  One of the characters in the film was named "Roland Gilead," which does come from the novels.  Another was "Walter" or the "Man in Black."  And, Jake Chambers  is also found in both the novels and the film.  Oh yes, there was a mention of The Dark Tower and part of the action in the novels does take place in NYC.  That's about all I recognized in the film as coming from the novels.

Of course, it's been a long time since I read the novels, so my memory may be a bit faulty here.  So, if anyone has seen the film and recognized scenes from the novels that I obviously missed, please let me know.

One curious note:  Stephen King appeared in one of the  Extras, but for less than ten seconds I would guess.  He said that he had Clint Eastwood in mind when he created Roland.  When I read the novels, I thought Eastwood would have made a great Roland.  King's second comment was that he thought that Matthew McConaughey was well cast as Walter.  I thought that was a strange juxtaposition of the comments about the two of the leading roles in the film.

I think Idris Elba, who played Roland, is an excellent actor and was convincing in his role.   However, he is not  Clint Eastwood.  So, as I watched the film, I tried to forget King's Roland and think of Elba as a different Roland.

Overall Reaction:  the powers-that-be turned a highly complex and imaginative work into just another film featuring a teenager with superpowers who saves the universe.  Jake is the hero and Roland is his bodyguard. 

7 comments:

  1. Not having read the books I quite liked it. Rather formulaic overall (as we have come to expect) but entertaining enough. I might have liked it much less if I'd already read it - apparently. I understand that there have been quite a few changes to shoehorn it into a single film (so far).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CyberKitten, agreed. It wasn't S King, but it was a passable film.

      As far as I could tell, the scriptwriter wrote it completely, using only the names of the characters and the vague threat to the Dark Tower from the novels.

      Delete
  2. Your posting/reaction underscores my experience with books-into-films; I've almost always been disappointed, and at this moment I cannot recall a good book-to-film experience. Your posting is a great caveat emptor: I will avoid the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R.T., I've finally gotten to the point where I am surprised when the film resembles the book(s).

      A few exceptions: Zorba the Greek, for one.

      And, after having read the the story the film _Psycho_ was based on, I actually thought the film was better. _Rear Window_ was another example of the film being better than the story. Hitchcock directed both films--I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

      Delete
  3. Fred....while I was doing Blogger “housekeeping” — permanently deleting unused blogs (there were a few) — I seem to have permanently deleted Informal Inquiries. Now no blog exists. So, when I return to blogging, I will have to create a new blog. That will have to wait until after Christmas. I’ll let you know when I return.
    Best wishes,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, OK, will be waiting for the word.

      Delete
    2. RT: i've been worried that i'd accidentally do the same thing... i really wish it all wasn't so complicated... or i wish someone would give me a brain transplant...

      Delete